Dana M. Smith, MS
Named one of Maryland’s Top 100 Women by The Daily Record for her professional achievement, community leadership, and mentoring, Dana understands the importance of performance and perseverance. Throughout a diversified career, she has partnered with others to create significant organizational value and build exceptional cultures. Dana has developed Board members and executives to manage change, improve organizational performance, and increase profitability. She has coached hundreds of professionals who are flourishing in their roles and impacting organizations and communities today.
Dana’s extensive corporate experience and empathy provide her with multiple lenses to appreciate and support her clients’ aspirations. She helps leaders sharpen their own resilience and agility by bringing her deep listening skills and rich business background to the coaching relationship. Dana has seen companies from the perspective of operating businesses and private equity/venture capital as well as throughout full economic cycles. She has also acquired new businesses, liquidated a company, and sold two publicly traded organizations in back-to-back transactions.
Since 2006, Dana has led HR and other functions for publicly traded companies (CapitalSource, American Capital, Hannon Armstrong), focusing on advancing culture, strategy, and organizational development. Additionally, she led human resources at subsidiaries of Constellation Energy and Sylvan Learning Systems and worked in various positions domestically and overseas for Citicorp earlier in her career.
As a member of its Executive Committee and Chair of its Nominating and Governance Committee, Dana is currently serving her third term on the Board of Directors of The Y in Central Maryland, a mission-driven, charitable organization dedicated to developing the full potential of every individual through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. Furthermore, she recently led a Board Development project for theatreWashington and is now a member of its Governance Committee.
Dana is also a public speaker and has been featured in or contributed to publications such as Smart CEO Magazine, Employee Benefits News, The Washington Post, and Washington Business Journal.
- Wharton Executive Education - Executive Coaching Certificate
- Hogan Leadership Forecast Series (HPI, HDS, MVPI)
- Hermann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI)
- Center for Creative Leadership Benchmarks® 360-Degree Assessment Solutions
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI)
- Deeper Signals' Core Drivers Diagnostic
- John Hopkins University, MS, Organizational Counseling
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, BS, Economics with Concentration in Human Resources
- Universidad de Alicante, Advanced Spanish Coursework
- Professional Coach Training Program, Co-Active Training Institute (CTI)
- C-Suite Advisory
- Board Advisory
- Executive Presence
- Emotional Intelligence
- Organizational Development
- Leadership Development
- Team Effectiveness
- Leader in Transition
- Career Development