Great leaders have long understood that leadership and learning are inextricably linked – it’s hard to have one without the other.
Today’s successful leaders are nimble learners – people who learn quickly, are open to the new and unfamiliar, and can find learning in all types of experiences.
Whether your focus is developing learning leaders, teams, organizations (or all three!), here are 10 quotes to inspire your efforts.
- “Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” – John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States
- “I am always doing things I can't do — that's how I get to do them.” - Pablo Picasso, Spanish painter, sculptor, stage designer, poet, playwright
- “Learning is not a one-time event or a periodic luxury. Great leaders in great companies recognize that the ability to constantly learn, innovate, and improve is vital to their success.” – Amy Edmondson inTeaming: How Organizations Learn, Innovate, and Compete in the Knowledge Economy
- “Once you embrace unpleasant news not as negative but as evidence of a need for change, you aren't defeated by it. You're learning from it.” – Bill Gates, Business leader, philanthropist, inventor
- “We are the creative force of our life, and through our own decisions rather than our conditions, if we carefully learn to do certain things, we can accomplish those goals.” –Stephen Covey, American educator, author, businessman
- “Everything is hard before it is easy.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and statesman
- “He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, lecturer, poet
- “I am still learning.” – Michelangelo, Italian sculptor, painter, architect, engineer
- “We now accept the fact that learning is a lifelong process of keeping abreast of change. And the most pressing task is to teach people how to learn.” – Peter Drucker, American management consultant, educator, author
- “Real learning gets to the heart of what it means to be human. Through learning we re-create ourselves. Through learning we become able to do something we never were able to do. Through learning we reperceive the world and our relationship to it. Through learning we extend our capacity to create, to be part of the generative process of life. There is within each of us a deep hunger for this type of learning.” ― Peter M. Senge in The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization
If you or your team could use some help developing an inspired culture where learners thrive, ECC can help. Give us a call at +1.847.920.0190.